Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Little girls and the sea :)

One of the things I love about living in Key West is that we live a relatively simple life. Chuck E. Cheese and shopping malls with amusement park-like attractions are places my girls get to visit on our yearly vacation up north to see friends and family. Down here, we fill our days with school, homework, reading, crafts, some Disney Jr or a DVD, lots of pretend play with Monster High dolls, bike rides with dad, and pool time with mom. Neither child is interested in sports, so we work to keep them active. Josie still doesn't want to take dance lessons, but she often wears costumes and puts on some pretty amazing ballet performances for us. And I don't feel judged for keeping them out of the cycle of lessons and practices....or maybe I am judged but I just don't care. With all the comings and goings of a normal week, it is easy to forget some of the amazing things we can do with a spare hour or two. Like go to the beach on a breezy, clear day. Just for the heck of it. Yesterday after school ended we headed to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Key West's best beach in my opinion. We got two hot dogs, a bag of chips, and two drinks from the concession stand. Mari (my older daughter, who is 9) said 'I think this is the best restaurant in Key West!' And she means it. I love that about my girls. After their snack, we hit the beach. Too rough for swimming, we looked for shells and the girls giggled as the waves chased them. For what seemed like forever for a mom sitting on a pile of coral rocks (that would be me), they dug holes in the sand and acted completely delighted that the waves came and filled them up every time. But I waited as long as I possibly could before asking them to pack it up and head home. It was glorious. Just like the sun shining off the water. It isn't always easy to be so far away from friends, family, and civilization, but watching the girls yesterday was a reminder that we are blessed to live here.




No comments:

Post a Comment