Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Letters from Santa

A few weeks ago, Bob the Mailman came to the door. The girls opened it and said, 'Oh hey, Bob.......MOM!!!!!!' He directed the girls back into the house. 'Ladies, I've got some important business to talk about with your mom.' I knew what it was, but I love the topic so much I was happy to listen again.

Every year, a volunteer at the Key West post office answers letters addressed to Santa. If you get it to your carrier during a short window of time, in an envelope addressed to Santa Claus at the North Pole, with the child's name and address in the upper left hand corner, your efforts will be rewarded with a sweet note from the big man. Along with the Key West Holiday Parade and caroling on the Conch Train, these letters are one of my favorite Key West Christmas traditions.

The girls wrote their letters and I got them to Bob, meeting him at his truck when I heard its distinctive rumble out front. And the night before we left for points north, a letter for each appeared in our mailbox. I packed them away and surprised the girls with them here at my parents' house in Pennsylvania. I bet the neighbors down the street heard their squeals of delight....it was awesome. Santa was thoughtful to include details from their letters in his replies, advising Mari to be sweet to Josie, and vice versa, to stay on the 'nice list' throughout the upcoming year. Advice I hope they take to heart.

So as I sit at my parents' dining room table this morning, with my coffee in a Christmas mug and a plate of their killer cookies nearby, I am happy to be here physically but with the spirit of the holidays in Key West in my heart. It certainly doesn't snow on our little island, but there is a special Christmas spirit to make up for it.

Merry Christmas to everyone reading this! With a special holiday shout out to our favorite mailman, and to the super awesome person who makes the time to answer Santa letters during the postal service's busiest time of year.





No comments:

Post a Comment