Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Maryland Ties. And Chickens.

I lived in Maryland for more than 20 years before moving to Key West. It was hard for me to watch the recent events in Baltimore. I've never seen rioting and unrest that close to a place I have lived. It made me feel vulnerable, even though I am living in a very different place, because the roots of such tumult aren't limited to 'certain' cities. It could happen in any place. Any town or city with a division of any kind.

I reached out to a few friends who live in and around Baltimore and asked for their thoughts on recent events. I got a few tirades that surprised me. It is definitely difficult to talk about without getting political. I also got some thoughtful responses that showed me just how deeply every citizen of Charm City was affected.

After some thought, I told a friend there that my blog post couldn't do justice to such a complicated, politically charged string of events, and I joked that most of my readers would probably prefer a post on 'chickens and island life' instead of a novice attempt at social commentary. His response also surprised me. 'I think we could all use some posts about chickens. Seriously.'

So here goes. A little slice of island life. With lots of love for my friends in Baltimore behind it.

It's warm and lovely on the island of Key West on this May morning. I saw bouganvillea of every shade while driving the girls the short distance to school. We did our 'dog count' - we saw 6 dogs being walked in a few blocks, not counting the guy who walks 4 corgis....he is separate for some reason Josie maintains. On the way home I saw the vendors setting up the Green Market in Bayview Park, getting ready for the 9 am opening. Looking forward to heading over there this morning myself. The array of tropical fruits always makes me smile, even though I wouldn't know what to do with most of them. I also saw the blue waters of the Bight before I turned onto George Street. I didn't get far before I had to stop for a mama chicken and four or five 'nuggets' (as they are called here) to cross the street in front of me. And when I parked my Jeep in front of the house I saw my nemesis Big Daddy, the large colorful rooster who frequently brings love dates to my front yard. He was watching over things from the safety of a neighbor's yard. And I'm glad, since I'd prefer another cup of coffee before having to chase him with the broom this morning. I think I'll go have that right now. Happy Thursday.




No comments:

Post a Comment