Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Tales from the Cafeteria

I started this school year with a big volunteer project, one that I am truly enjoying. I'm the assistant lunch lady at the girls' school. I help the paid staff person prep and serve, and I write the monthly lunch menu and order the food from vendors. This may not sound like a fun gig to most people, but it is perfect for me.

I helped to set up the lunch program at a previous school, and I have a long history of food-related projects. I'm good at shaving food costs and maintaining inventory. But that isn't why I enjoy it so much. It's the diners who make the job so much fun.

At 11:30 the first students arrive in a surprisingly orderly fashion. If you packed your lunch, find a seat with your classmates. If you are purchasing lunch, form a line in front of the serving area. The youngest kids are just adorable, and some of them are really hearty eaters for little people! We had some communication issues in the beginning. It can be loud in the cafeteria with the oven vents on so we have to speak up. But after just a few weeks even the three year olds say 'yes, please' and 'no, thank you.'

Yesterday was a school favorite, chicken strips or chicken nuggets with macaroni and cheese. These kids can eat some macaroni and cheese, let me tell you! Each day brings something funny to the serving line. Sometimes we lunch ladies have to hold back a full-on giggle fit. Yesterday's joke was this:

Me: Would you like strips or nuggets?
Kid: No, thank you. I'll just have chicken.

This conversation happened many, many times over the hour of lunch service.

Each class sits together to eat, joined by their teacher. It is calm and surprisingly quiet. If things get too loud, it is quickly hushed. Tables are wiped, lines re-formed, and the students file out with their friends. They often wave and thank us. These are some polite students. I am impressed by them each day.

It's all over by 12:40 or so. At the end of it I am generally tired, hot, and my feet hurt. But I also feel happy and satisfied to have used my skills to help my daughters' school (by donating my time and experience) and to provide a nice meal to some nice kids.

On the first day of classes this year, on pasta and meatball day, one 5th grader saw the pile of freshly baked garlic bread sticks I added to the usual offerings and said 'This is going to be the best year ever.....we have bread sticks!!' This job reminds me that, yes, it's the little things that make life fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment