Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Good Grief

I've been hearing these words a lot lately since 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' is in heavy rotation at my house. We are gearing up for a wonderful Christmas at home this year. We decorated a big, full tree from MARC House. We've been playing holiday tunes and lighting lots of candles. There are several special events coming up at school and church, and two full weeks of school break to look forward to. Life is good, we are very fortunate. We have plans to help those on the island who aren't so lucky during the holidays. I've always heard that if you want to feel better you should do something nice for someone else.

Two days before Thanksgiving my dad passed away suddenly. I got the call that every person dreads. It was a shock to my entire system and to my whole family. Because Thanksgiving week is the busiest travel time of the year, we couldn't fly out until Friday morning. Those two days at home gave me clarity and although I was upset not to be able to be in Pennsylvania immediately, in hindsight I realize those days were a great gift. I was able to turn my grief from a raw state to a calmer, more reflective one. It has made me think of Charlie Brown's famous line. Maybe there really is a 'good grief.' You are sad and missing the person who passed terribly, but there is so much good to think about, wonderful memories and funny stories, that it is hard to focus only on the end of life.

It is difficult to live so far away from family during times of crisis. And there have certainly been times that I have felt selfish for being 90 miles from Cuba and 1,300ish miles from family. But in the days we have been back in Key West, I realize that this is my home. I'm am a proud Pennsylvania girl and I love my time there, but this is where my family's life is. The kindness that our church and school communities have shown us during this difficult time has been truly amazing. Honestly, I have never experienced anything like it. We are  thankful to be here and grateful for the people who have become part of our lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment