Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Long time gone

I know, I know....it's been FOREVER since I wrote a blog post. Actually, it was late December, but I get it, it's been a long time.

Thank you, fans, for missing me! I appreciate it. I truly do. Someone even sent me a list of possible topics, just in case I'd been absent because I'd run out of things to write about. Not the case, of course. I think of different things on a daily basis, I just haven't had the time or inclination to write about them.

Until today, that is. I'm home with a sick kid. I was bummed about the schedule change and missing work, but decided to embrace the day and get a ton of things done. Well, it's 12:40 pm and so far my list of accomplishments isn't very impressive.

So as I look at baskets of laundry I could wash, dry, and put away, and a pile of papers that I could file, I immediately thought about writing a blog post....way more fun than my other options.

I started working at my girls' school on March 1. As most of you know, I really starting working there in August, setting up the lunch program, training the employee in the cafeteria, and putting in a few hours every day as assistant lunch lady. Snack room on Friday's, fundraising events, etc, etc....I was there quite a bit.

So the change was that I became an EMPLOYEE not a volunteer. Yes, after almost 15 years at home with the girls (and enjoying a 'ladies who lunch and shop' life before they arrived), I have a job. A desk. Co-workers. And....a paycheck!

I am learning a new skill (accounting) and putting my old skills (fundraising, planning events, organizing) to use on a much higher level. I love it. Like, really, really love it.

After working for a few weeks I realized that before, I had all time in the world to do all the things I didn't want to do, like clean my house and do laundry.

And I felt guilty paying to have someone do those things (since I should WANT to do those things, adding some major beating-myself-up to the game). Not anymore! Mommy has a job....bring on the house cleaner, the yard guy, and I'll drop the laundry off at Sandy's on my way to school.

Maybe I'll get to the office at some point today and even check a few household chores off the list. Or not. Right now I'm enjoying a snoring dog on my legs and a little writing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment