Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thinking Spring

It's the first day of spring, here in Key West and everywhere else, of course. Up north people are awaiting the big thaw after a brutal winter. Down here we are awaiting the slow departure of the island's many visitors. We've got about a month until things really quiet down, usually after Easter. The daylight is longer, the temperature and humidity are still pretty low....life is good!

Local schools close next week for spring break. My girls are taking a circus camp class at the Studios of Key West and we have plans for picnics at the beach and lots of time in our pool. We haven't lived here long enough to really want to go away, but I'm sure as time goes on we will. For now, a trip to the mainland may be our only trip off the island during this break. I could certainly use a Target fix!

Spring always makes me want to revamp, replant, and repaint. My poor husband's 'honey do' list is a mile long! I can't wait for today's delivery of the new Lily Pulitzer shower curtain for the guest bath....good bye pale green and light blue, I'm going Lily hot pink and bright green in there. I ordered a driftwood Parsons desk and it will arrive next week. It will be my space for my decoupage work since the dining room table always seems to be occupied by other stuff. And I can't wait to hit Home Depot for a slew of colorful new plants to put in the ground.

Key West is full of hens and new chicks this time of year. Regardless of how you feel about our roaming chickens, it's hard not to like the little fuzz balls and their protective mamas. Last week I pulled into my usual parking spot and realized that I was only inches from a feathery little family. I hear the hen clucking and the chicks chirping during the day, and last evening I watched mom fly up into one of our bushes for a few minutes. I have tried several times to get a photo, but she's not having it! The stock photo I found on Google is a good representation of what they look like, with various colors in one group.

Spring also marks my family's busiest time of year for visitors. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend coming into Key West on a cruise ship, just for the day. Over the weekend, two sets of friends from Maryland arrive for a week at their time shares. On Tuesday one of my oldest friends arrives for a short stay, and the following week one of my sisters arrives with my nephew and niece in tow. I can't wait to take them to Bahia Honda for the day, and to try a schooner sunset sail. It is always a delight to see the beauty of the island through visitors' eyes, no matter which season we are in.









No comments:

Post a Comment