Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

It's My Blog-iversary!

Yes, it's been just over one year ago that I started this blog. I did it on a whim, finding the Blogger software on my Google tool bar, and just playing around with it. I didn't realize how much I missed writing, and I am happy to say that writing is definitely one skill that has gotten better with age. I used to spend more time choosing words, basically over-thinking things. Now, at this point in life, I really enjoy picking a topic and typing away. Of course, I go back and edit, but in this past year I've learned that I'm pretty good at getting my thoughts into words. When the house is a wreck and my kids are bickering, I love knowing that I can come into the home office and write something and publish it.....one task accomplished! One creative outlet fulfilled! It gives me that boost to go out and pull the girls apart and make them pick up the Legos. Again. This past year also brought my words to the Key West Weekly newspaper. It's fun to go out into the community and meet the hard working people who feed us. We have so many great restaurants and I love celebrating them. In February, I added a public Facebook page, also called Key West Kendi. I have enjoyed it immensely because it's given me a chance to explore the island and the lower Keys with my camera. I'm definitely not a pro, but I spent years working for magazines and working with photographers, so I have a good eye. One of these days I will take some classes and learn the technical side of it, but for now I love processing my shots of tropical flowers, local beaches and excursions to KW eateries. People from all over the country view my photos and blog posts each day....kind of amazing, really. I can't take all of the credit, it's Key West that people love. I'm just lucky to be here every day to share it with them. I recently looked into ayurvedic medicine. If you haven't heard of it, Google it, take the dosha test, and see how close it hits home. I am a 'kapha' through and through. Prone to getting 'stuck' and quick to say 'I'm not dealing with this.' From my research I learned that one of the things I can do to keep myself energized and productive is to constantly look for beauty and inspiration, which is basically what I've been doing through my writing and photography. It's kind of funny how things are all connected, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment