Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mari's friend Peaches

While we were up north earlier this summer, we spent time at one of our former homes to do a bit of organizing. We went through bins, took a lot of stuff to the Salvation Army store, and put the rest in our new 'owner storage' area. My youngest daughter, Josie, was busy running around the yard and enjoying her time at 'the block house' (that's what she's always called it....not sure if it's because she remembers playing blocks there or if she really means 'brick' house). Mari, my 9 year old daughter, was never too far from the sorting action. I think she was making sure we didn't give anything GOOD away, like mittens and other cold weather gear. She wanted to keep it everything! I let her keep the Dalmation hat and scarf set, just in case we get a frigid winter in Key West in the future, even though the 'coldest' we have experienced has been maybe 49 degrees. I thought I was safe until Mari spotted the ancient mink stole that belonged to John's mother. She picked it up, put it around her neck, and named it Peaches. Love at first site, for sure. Despite our best efforts, Mari wore Peaches everywhere during our week in Maryland. I drew the line at restaurants, mostly because I didn't want to eat near the thing....one of those stoles made with several minks linked together, lots of feet and claws....ewww. And a face. Double ewww. (I'm getting the skeeves just reliving this portion of my summer here.) I let Mari wear Peaches to La Paz for our last night dinner with friends because my Facebook postings had made our little stole into a bit of a celebrity. We even re-took the annual photos at the outdoor painting near the restaurant to include her. (See how this stuff happens? I'm calling it 'her'!) By the time we hit our overnight stay near Savannah on our way back to Key West, Peaches was down to one eye, although I'm not sure exactly where she lost the other one. And then her tail fell off. Oh well, Mari didn't mind. I can always tell when Mari has been carrying her around from the little trail of fur behind them. I am truly hoping that dear Peaches disintegrates completely. And soon. I am not above poking a little fun at this situation on Facebook, and my friends and I have come up with some good hash tags (everything from #goawayPeaches to #teampeaches). John and I have both seen the disappointment on people's faces when they see us sans stole. And we've both been greeted with 'Where's Peaches?" Briefly, I considered serving as her agent....maybe booking some appearances around Key West? Hoping to get Mari's furry friend in a box in her closet for 'safe keeping.' Um, yeah, safe keeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment