Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

There's No Place like Home

I can't imagine how many miles we put on my Jeep, and I don't even want to know how many hours I spent sitting on my butt in the passenger seat (note to self....schedule chiropractor appointment ASAP!). We rolled in on Sunday, late afternoon, winding through the Keys along with what seemed like a million other people who were probably headed here for the 4th of July week (note to self....don't travel by car during the week of the 4th!). We had a GREAT trip. Family, friends, sights, shopping....we covered everything. We even got some important work done, spending several days taking care of matters at one of our rental properties in Maryland. I really didn't think much about life in K Dub while we were gone, which is quite nice to be TRULY away from your home in both mind and body....I think that is what a vacation is, or should be, if you can swing it. I didn't worry about the house or pool maintenance, because my awesome buddy was living here while we were away. And I really didn't miss the beach or the pool or my flowers or the geckos because I knew it would all be here when we got back. But boy did I miss my bed. My OWN bed. And my kitchen. I swear I'm going to live on water with lemon and kale for the next month....it is going to be a long time before any of us want to dine in a restaurant after three weeks away from home. On the drive back John and I decided to make this first week back a vacation from our vacation. Josie said 'Oh good! I don't want to leave the house once!' We laughed, but I think she said what we were all thinking. We have left the house for the grocery store, several times in just two days (note to self....make a list next time!). We've got all the supplies for a week of 4th of July festivities....sparklers, watermelon, hamburgers, hot dogs, bomb pops, and more. I've located the big star-shaped cookie cutter that the girls love, to cut sandwiches and brownies and whatever else they feel like cutting. I bought the yearly tub of Pillsbury icing with the red, white and blue sprinkles, so I know there will be some patriotic cupcakes made in the next few days. We are set! So I'm going to head back to the sofa now. There is a giant stack of magazines and catalogs that arrived while we were away....and a big glass of ice water with slices of organic lemon slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment