Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

New Year, New 'Tude

I am not one to say 'where did the summer go?' I can tell you exactly where it went. Our summer has gone by in a lovely blur of fish print and tie dye camp, swimming in our pool, tooling around the island, crafts, tutoring, some awesome traveling, seeing family and friends, making smoothies and fruit kebabs, playing tennis, snuggling, baking, playing computer games, making messes and cleaning them up, and much, much more. We've had busy days and lazy days. The girls probably watched too much television and didn't take enough baths. And I'm okay with that....to me, that is what summer break is for! School starts next Monday, and we are making the usual preparations. The school supplies are bagged and ready to go. They have new clothes and shoes and backpacks. We are going to bed earlier. Basically, tightening up the daily routine. My volunteer duties at the girls school started a few weeks ago - welcome back treats, lunch for the staff, lots of time at the keyboard updating information, sending emails, and outlining plans for the upcoming school year. I really enjoy doing it, and I am blessed to be able to devote so much time to helping out. I've learned a lot in the last few weeks and have had my feelings hurt in a major way. I think volunteering and giving brings out the best in people, but unfortunately it also seems to bring out the worst. So along with prepping my two daughters to start second grade next week, I am prepping myself. Finding a better balance. Maybe tightening up my boundaries. I love the excitement of a new school year....so much possibility! I look forward to having the time during the day to tackle projects and actually keep the house looking nice for more than an hour. I can't wait to drop them off and then park by Smathers Beach and take a brisk walk along the ocean. John and I can get back to our routine of having breakfast or lunch out at our favorite spots....Pepe's, Harpoon Harry's, Sarabeth's, and Square Grouper. And at 3 pm the day really begins when two little ladies have snacks and homework and reading and dinner and baths. Until then, it's probably all right that it's 10:42 am and they are still in pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment