Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

It's the People

Yesterday was a pretty normal Saturday for my family. John headed out for his bike ride to Boca Chica with Father John, one of the priests at our church. The girls woke me up at 7 to check if it was time to leave for the birthday party that started at 1 pm. Believe me, I was VERY happy when it finally WAS 1 pm. The party was on the military base where the girls' school is located. I love the mix of parents I've gotten to know in the last four years, and yesterday was a little microcosm....young military families mixed with older-parent transplants who moved to paradise to live an island life. Moms, dads, lots of squealing little girls, a few little boys, and some babies. Military, civilian, black, white, gay, adopted....so different but so much the same. John and I left to grab a quick lunch and do a major grocery shopping trip while the girls partied. While he headed to the butcher counter to get some steaks cut, I made a new friend near the orange juice. A 78-year-old lady told me her entire life story, just because I happened to be there. She was warm, wise and so funny that John heard my laughing all the way across the store. 'Who was that?' he asked. 'Not sure, but tomorrow is her birthday' I replied. I don't remember that happening in Maryland, but it is a weekly occurrence in Key West. When we went to our next errand, John ran into the man who had just spoken at his Rotary meeting on Thursday. He is trying to raise funds to buy the medical equipment that could have prevented his teenage son's death from a diving mishap a few years ago. This gentleman manages the Publix and I see him several times a week. I will look at him in a new light knowing his story. Turns out his wife is the woman who orders John's kegs for his kegerator....we know her too. We are definitely going to the fundraiser they are holding in a few weeks, because that is what you do here. You look past differences and you support your fellow islander. It's the people. The sunshine, swaying palm trees, and turquoise water just come with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment