Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bahama Village

This small island, home to around 25,000, is divided up into sections. Old Town is the area most visitors know. Within Old Town is the Meadows, a lovely area of historic homes. We live in Midtown West, a short bike ride to Old Town. There's also Casa Marina, New Town, and Key Haven. To me, the neighborhood here that really FEELS like a neighborhood is Bahama Village. The narrow streets, tiny Conch houses, and shady courtyards that lie adjacent to Petronia Street have charm and history. This area was settled by immigrants from the Bahamas, and it is one of the oldest African-American communities in Florida. When I go there for lunch or shopping I always find lots of photo ops. Yesterday I met my friend Dee Dee for lunch at La Creperie. She is their biggest fan! I think I finally get her crepe love after enjoying one filled with spinach, mushrooms, chicken and bechamel....so good!! And then I got to share one of my faves with her. In all her years of traveling to Key West, Dee Dee had never been to Besame Mucho! Dios Mio! Of course, she loved it.....such a great shop. I found the most awesome earrings. Engraved with 'Dance when you're broken open, dance when you're perfectly free' from Rumi, with tiny sapphires. That little shop is just filled with unique treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment