Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Friday, November 15, 2013

70 Wonderful Things about My Dad



Today is my dad's 71st birthday. Last year I wrote this list for him, and now I am sharing it with all of you.  Have a great day, Dad! We all send our love from Key West.

70 Wonderful Things about Dad

70. He is the cook in the family.
69. He loved taking care of Mari when we went to Guatemala to get Josie, feeding her cake and Chinese food, her two favorite things.
68. He was only around Josie a few times before he pronounced 'she's gonna give them trouble'....ha ha!
67. When I got my accidental crew cut in Key West, he had approximately 50 one liners, just off the top of his head.
66. He is a good judge of character.
65. It is fun to get him going on people who are morons.....especially if those people happen to be related to one of us.....bonus points if they are related through marriage!
64. I love the picture of the first time he met Josie. Sweethearts from the start.
63. He surfed the 'net to find Mari her special Clifford dog.
62. I ran into one of his old girlfriends from high school at one of my cookbook signings, and I think she still missed him!
61. He played the cello in his high school orchestra.
60. He can probably quote most episodes from MASH from beginning to end.
59. He makes one hell of a meatloaf!
58. He makes up funny things like Home & Garbage.
57. He has always been very kind to his grand-dog, Murphy.
56. He can watch "The Christmas Card" over and over and enjoy it every time.
55. I can't watch the Weather Channel in the morning without thinking of him sitting in his chair watching it, too.
54. His peanut brittle, coconut bon bons, and other Christmas treats are legendary.
53. He has built cars for Boy Scouts and lots of other projects for the grandkids.
52. He was an excellent provider for his family.
51. He reads stories with Mari, Josie and Zach.
50. He sat through many dance recitals and chorus, orchestra and band concerts.
49. He can build or fix just about anything!
48. He has been a 'surrogate dad' to lots of people over the years.
47. He always gave Penny a piece of cake when it was someone's birthday.
46. Even though he is turning 70, he can text, skype, and find stuff on the internet.
45. He flew to Key West to see us, even though he hates to fly and hates the heat.
44. He turned our house into a hoagie shop for my homecoming fundraiser.
43. He is extremely generous and would give you the shirt off his back.
42. He has fixed or painted most of our cars over the years....even the husbands' cars.
41. He voted for Obama! (OK, probably not this time, but I am still impressed!!)
40. He can sing really well but almost never does.
39. He was tolerant when I developed a relationship with my biological family, knowing I would quickly learn they were losers. ;)
38. He put up with various boyfriends over the years, and was nice even when he didn't like them.  OK, maybe fairly nice to them.... ;)
37. He worked building cabinets and other things for the 'extras' in life for us, even though he worked full-time as a policeman.
36. His orange doughnuts are amazing!
35. He loves his grandkids, even the little brown ones, just like George HW Bush. :)
34. He has turned himself into a computer, cell phone, and photography genius!
33. He loves to watch every mushy Christmas movie on Hallmark Channel.
32. Mom Mom & Pap's house is Mari and Josie's favorite place on earth.
31. His list of hobbies over the years is quite impressive....gardening, candy making, quilting, hunting, etc.
30. He picked up the upstairs phone while I was talking with my girl friends in junior high school and made the Road Runner noise.
29. He can build a kitchen from scratch, including custom cabinets.
28. He got up early to walk me through cooking my first Thanksgiving turkey at my house.
27. He carried old Murphy up the basement stairs for a week, even when she bit him, because he didn't want us to leave.
26. He is a great father-in-law to the husbands.
25. He takes care of Zach with such love and gentleness.
24. Every day he talks to friends and family from all over on facebook and emails.
23. He showed my girls how to make his famous candy cane cookies here in Key West.
22. He helped all of us renovate, repair, or re-do our various houses over the years.
21. He let us take our friends and boyfriends on vacation to Myrtle Beach every year.
20. He loves Christmas!
19. He takes good care of his mother, even if he doesn't always want to.
18. He is the apple of Kacie, Brady, Mari, Josie and Zach's eyes.
17. He gave his kids a boat, a pop-up camper, a go-cart, and lots of fun things.
16. He makes the best chocolate layer cake with peanut butter icing.
15. He taught me how to drive a car....even though I didn't want to learn. And I am an excellent driver to this day!
14. He made it through open-heart surgery and a few procedures but keeps on ticking.
13. He goes on errands with John when we visit, just to hang out.
12. He took his kids on some pretty awesome vacations....Disney World, Busch Gardens, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, etc.
11. He is the best at putting the tinsel on the Christmas tree.
10. He created a successful quilting business, just to keep him and Mom out of trouble.
9.  He volunteers his time every Monday counting the collection at the church.
8.  He makes the best ham pot pie. Ever.
7.  Josie's favorite thing about Pap:  'He always picks me up. I like him very much.'
6.  Mari's favorite thing about Pap:   'Because he is so cute, and he likes me!'
5.  Murphy's favorite thing about Pap:   'If I stare at him long enough he will give me something to eat.'
4.  We were all so worried when he was in the hospital for bypass surgery because we just couldn't imagine the world with him.
3.  He adopted me and raised me as his own.
2.  When I say 'my dad' I am only talking about him.
1.  He is a great dad and pap and we all love you!! Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment