Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Two Recent Soups

Last week I made a minestrone, which is a great clean out the fridge and freezer soup. Any veggie can go in. I started it with onion, celery and carrot sweating in olive oil. I added a thick slice of ham I had frozen for just this purpose, dicing it into cubes. A few inches of chicken stock, and I brought it to a boil to form the flavor base. Eventually zucchini, potato, corn, green beans, canned tomatoes and white beans joined the pot. More stock, some chopped garlic, finely chopped rosemary, and some grated parmesan finished the soup. We ate it for two dinners. On Monday of this week I got a text that they needed a vegetarian soup for a luncheon at the girls school. Again, I looked to the veggies I already had on hand since I had just gone grocery and didn't want to make a special trip. Onion, celery, and carrot in oil. A few small red-skinned potatoes diced. Two crowns of broccoli, and three cloves of garlic, chopped. I added water to cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so. No chicken stock this time. Salt and pepper. I found a jar of roasted red peppers, so I chopped several slices for some color and sweetness. I used my immersion blender to puree the mixture, and I decided to add some shredded cheddar for body. Usually I would add a tablespoon or two of chicken base at this point, if I feel the soup needs some flavor. Instead, I added a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and a dash of hot sauce to round out the finished product. I hope the vegetarian teachers and staff enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment