Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Turkey Posole

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that all those brined turkeys turned out juicy and flavorful. Our holiday was lovely. There were ten of us for dinner, and we really ate! After the big day, we enjoyed quite a few turkey sandwiches, but I only had enough leftovers for one replay of the entire meal. I used up my last Thanksgiving leftover yesterday, turning the remaining turkey broth and bits of dark meat into a delicious soup. Posole is a traditional Mexican soup, originally made with the head of a pig, but now generally made with pork. Posole always contains hominy. It's available in the canned vegetable section. Hominy is corn soaked in lye. The kernels become larger and have a richer, denser texture...very nice in a soup. So, to my pot of about four cups of turkey broth, I added chopped turkey, a can of diced tomatoes, one can of white hominy, a can of black beans, some chicken stock, and two packets of Goya Sazon seasoning, which is a mix of Latin spices including annato seed, which adds a nice color to soups. I chopped onion and red and yellow bell pepper and sauteed them in oil until softened and just beginning to brown, and added those to my soup pot. After simmering for a half hour, I tasted it and added a bit more salt and pepper. To serve, I crushed up some corn tortilla chips for the top. It was delicious....the best soup I have made in a long time. Glad we have enough for one more meal! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment