Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Key West Seafood Gratin

In case you are sitting around on this drizzly afternoon wondering what to serve for New Year's Eve or Day, I have a great recipe for you! For Christmas Day, I made a gratin with local seafood....delicious, kinda fancy, and very easy. I started with 1 pound of yellowtail snapper and 1 pound of shrimp. In a saucepan over medium heat, I warmed 1 cup chicken stock with 1 pint heavy cream. I cut the fish into chunks and peeled the shrimp. I cut them in half horizontally when I removed the vein, a trick I learned from Ina Garten. When the stock and cream are just at the simmer, add the seafood, stirring to distribute. Remove it after only a minute or so, using a slotted spoon to place in a casserole dish. Add a tablespoon of tomato paste, a few threads saffron, and salt and pepper to the pot, and adjust heat to bring to a boil. Simmer until it reduces slightly and taste for seasoning. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoon flour with the same amount of water, whisking to remove lumps. Bring liquid back to a boil and stir in the flour mixture, whisking to combine. Remove from heat after it thickens....only takes a few minutes. Pour over seafood. Top with a generous amount of panko, and dot with butter. Heat at 375 until bubbly, then increase heat to 425 for a few minutes to brown. Serve with rice. You can use any combo of seafood. Next time I want to try it with lobster.

No comments:

Post a Comment