Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lemony Zucchini Bread w/Recipe

I got four lovely zucchini in my weekly veggie share and I had a bag of lemons to use up, so I hit pinterest to find a quick bread recipe to use both. Several recipes called for buttermilk, which I don't have on hand today, but I found a good one.....a nice amount of zucchini and not too much sugar. I think that quick breads (ie, loaf breads made with baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast) which contain vegetables or fruit often work best with vegetable oil instead of butter. This applies to carrot, zucchini, banana, pumpkin and squash. I also find that grating the zucchini on the largest holes on a box grater works better than shredding it in the food processor. The grated version is dryer and somehow lighter, probably because it doesn't become weighted down with extra moisture. My 4 zukes made enough grated for three full size loaves with a bit left for freezing for my next batch of vegetable soup. This is the recipe I used:

1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil

Using a mixer, blend to combine. Add the dry ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Grated zest from 2 small lemons

Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Leave in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. 

The loaves turned out great, with a lovely lemon flavor and aroma. I may add a lemon glaze. Just some confectioners sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice, stir until smooth and drizzle over top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment