Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rainy Season = Kitchen Time

Yesterday I picked up my share of organic fruits and veggies from Annie's Organics. After a long hiatus, it felt like Christmas in July! When I resumed my weekly subscription to Key West's version of a CSA, I switched to a half share and added two dozen organic eggs. I love getting these boxes of organic goodies but I hate wasting any of it. Hopefully the smaller share will prevent much waste. I like to use the box as inspiration for my own personal 'Chopped' competition. And perfect timing with all of this rain! This is my fourth summer in Key West and I don't remember this much rain in any other rainy season. This is the RAINIEST of rain seasons. Lots of indoor time, for sure. Monday evening I made a pan of baked ziti with sausage. I've been using Al Fresco brand chicken sausage in place of pork sausage in recipes with great results. Great flavor, much less saturated fat. After emptying my box of stuff from Annie's, I gave myself extra points in my solo 'Chopped' competition for coming up with a meal using a new item PLUS finishing up leftover ingredients already in the refrigerator. I added the box of assorted cherry tomatoes to baby arugula already here, along with sliced red onion, blue cheese crumbles and bottled balsamic dressing. A perfect salad with the ziti. This morning, I dumped the leftover salad into a non stick pan with a touch of oil. A few of those organic eggs scrambled made for a lovely frittata. Now I have to figure out how many points I get for that...
Baked Ziti and Arugula Salad on Monday evening.

Leftover salad sauteed this morning.
Frittata!

No comments:

Post a Comment