Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Strawberry Preserves

Seeing all of this lovely produce during my travels in Central Pennsylvania sent me to the canning section at the local Martin's grocery store. I got an updated copy of the Ball Blue Book, the guide to canning any fruit or vegetable, plus some jam jars and a container of pectin. Those small, sweet strawberries I found at Way Fruit Market got trimmed and put in a large, heavy pot with pectin and sugar. The berries were so sweet I used half the amount of sugar called for. I heated a separate pot of water to sterilize the jars and lids and brought the strawberry mixture to a rolling boil. Hot preserves into hot jars, add two part lids and turn the jars upside down. I should have added more preserves to each jar...they have a bit of empty space after settling. But not bad for something I haven't done in years! I used 4 quarts of berries, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, 12 tablespoons of powdered pectin and 6 cups of sugar. The jars are already packed up for our return trip to Key West over the weekend. A bit of homemade strawberry preserves on my toast and in the girls pb and js will be a tasty reminder of a great trip north and time spent in my mom's kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment