Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Bahia Honda Beach & Funny Conversations

This week we had house guests. My youngest sister, her four-year-old son, and my other sister's teenage daughter. My niece had never visited before, and it was fun to show her around. And my girls were just beyond thrilled to have a 'big girl' in the house for manicures, pedicures, French braids and the like. While the girls were at school one day, we headed north for a day on the beach. First stop was the Sugarloaf Food Company on Summerland Key for some picnic supplies. We bought wraps, tortellini salad, and cookies. Next stop, Bahia Honda State Park, home to the Lower Keys most beautiful beach. (actually it is considered one of the country's most beautiful beaches.....it's a mainstay of those Top Beach lists) We found a spot to place our stuff and spread out our towels. Unfortunately all the picnic tables were taken, but this would work just fine. The sky was blue, the sun was hot, and the water was a lovely turquoise. The palms were swaying and the bridge from Henry Flagler's railroad made a dramatic backdrop. There was even a boat that looked like a pirate ship docked just past the swimming area.....kinda cool. We floated around and sat on our knees in the cool water so that my nephew could walk around between us. After a long soak, we hit our towels for lunch, then got back in the water for a swim (and to wash off my nephew's chocolate chip cookie mess) before heading back to Key West. It was a lovely day, and one that I am so happy I got to share with my family after the horrendous winter they had in Pennsylvania. They actually had SLEET the day before they left. In April!!

While we were hanging out in the water, a woman struck up a conversation about the water temperature. When I told her that we lived here she didn't hide her feelings. OMG, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO LIVE HERE??? I explained that we actually lived in Key West, and were just spending the day at the state park. OMG, KEY WEST? THAT IS EVEN WORSE? IT'S NOTHING BUT A DRINKING TOWN! I told her that yes, our town has Duval Street, but it has much, much more than that.....history, architecture, art, culture, etc. I asked if she toured the lovely homes in Old Town Key West. WELL, YES, BUT THEY ALL HAD BIG PLANTS IN FRONT OF THEM! Um, yes, that would be colorful tropical foliage....we are known for that too. I pretty much turned my back after that because nothing I was going to say was going to change her mind. We all got a good laugh after she moved on.

When we were heading to my Jeep to leave, we were passed by a man wearing one of those unfortunate bathing suits some men wear. I made eye contact with my niece and we giggled. A woman walking by with her friend said I SPY WITH MY LITTLE EYE....A EUROPEAN! It's true. The little tight swim trunks they tend to wear are really bad. Really, really bad. We giggled most of the way back to KW.

3 comments: