Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Friday, April 25, 2014

Parents Behaving Badly

I generally write about Key Westers good behavior, but today I've got something to say about a certain groups' bad behavior. That group would be some parents at my girls' school. And probably at EVERY school across the country......why does volunteering in a parent-teacher association seem to bring out the worst in everyone? Seriously. Seemingly normal people can become down right rabid over the simplest things. And with smart phones, nasty texts and emails can start flying. Immediately. Before you've had a chance to choose your words carefully. It is behavior we would punish if our children did it. And it's sad. And hurtful if you are on the receiving end of it. If all of the time that has been spent in the last few weeks  explaining/defending/denying/accusing/etc had been directed at constructive projects we could have painted every building, weeded every garden, and re-shelved all the books in the library. The stuff that parents are supposed to be doing to help their kids' school. After two years of serving as president of a parent organization, I took this year off. It felt like a giant weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't attend one meeting, didn't read the emails, and only volunteered for things in my kids' classroom or in the library. I focused on developing some of my other interests (like this blog and re-starting my food writing for local outlets) and I learned that I have issues with boundaries and balance. I too easily say yes and often do way too much. But not being involved at all isn't realistic because I truly care about my girls' school and what goes on there. I think my year off will make me a better volunteer because I am looking at things with clear eyes, not from the point of the exhausted super mom who tries to do everything. The next time we all start to get worked up about what color pencils we need to buy or what we should call the next festival I am going to listen quietly and then remind everyone while we are here - to do good things for the school. I promise to stay above the fray and model the behavior I would expect from my children in their classroom. I admit I haven't always done that. I can be snarky and sarcastic, and I have certainly participated in some silliness. One of my favorite quotes is from Maya Angelou and it fits here - 'When you know better, you do better.' I am going to do better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment