Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Life without Murphy

Don't worry.....this isn't going to be sad. It's been a few weeks since we lost our beloved mutt Murphy to old age. And we are all fine. The girls say 'Murphy is in dog heaven' and if ever there was a dog to earn a spot there, it was her. One of Josie's teachers loaned us a book titled Dog Heaven. She had purchased it for her children when they lost a beloved pet a few years ago. Illustrations of dogs sleeping on clouds, but only after walking around in a circle three times, of course. It is still strange to walk into an empty house and realize she isn't here. Most mornings it was just me and Murphy, until John got back from his run and joined us. I have had two dreams since her passing that she was in the bedroom with us, on her dog bed, like always. But, I have to say, there are some things that have given us a bit more freedom. Of course, hotels no longer need to be dog friendly and we can actually fly on our next trip north if we choose to. If I am bringing groceries into the house, I don't have to shut the front door between loads. If the girls leave the side gate open, we don't need to search frantically to make sure the dog didn't get out. As old as she was, Murphy still enjoyed the occasional tour of the neighborhood. Now that makes me smile, but at the time I would be mad and worried, yelling her name until I heard her rustling around in somebody's bushes. These little freedoms are going to prevent us from getting another pet for a good long while. After cleaning up after an old dog for the last few months, the last thing I want to do is clean up after a puppy being trained to go outside. And I am really looking forward to our summer trip up north in June.....it will be so much easier and less stressful. But, I miss the old girl. As I write this I am watching the breeze in the palm trees and I know Murphy would put her nose in the air to see what smells the wind was carrying. I hope that is what she's doing in Dog Heaven today. And everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment