Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Fashions

KYesterday was a glorious day here in Key West. 78 degrees and sunny with a gentle, cool breeze. Our church has multiple services on Easter, including several in the Stations of the Cross garden. While I was standing there, surrounded by palms and beautiful tropical foliage, with my arms around both girls as they stood in front of me, I truly felt the blessings and joy of Easter. It is standing room only, and I can't always hear every word the priest says, but it is one of my favorite masses of the year because it is outside. Key West gets many tourists for Easter weekend. Schools up north hold their spring break so that the holiday weekend is included, and I think there are many families who make it a tradition at one of our inns or hotels. I love looking at the clothing worn by these obviously wealthy city folks. There is a India Hicks/Aerin Lauder vibe with the women, and a young Alec Baldwin thing with the men. And their children look like they were created for a Ralph Lauren campaign. I always wonder what these visitors' history is with Key West....did they grow up coming to the island every Easter and now they are passing the tradition on? In a perfect, privileged world, I would have an apartment in Manhattan, a house in Key West, a family beach compound in Maine, and just for my husband, a condo near a ski town out west. It's funny how comfortable I am with our simple life here...just thinking about all the clothes the four of us would need for such a life makes my head spin. And, at least one of us would have to get a paying job (like running a hedge fund or cranking out a bestseller once a year) for such extravagance. And that would take time away from our kids and the volunteering projects that we hold dear. Oh well....a nice world to visit in my mind, just for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment