Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Islanders on the Mainland

Last week during my girls' spring break from school, we headed north to Fort Lauderdale for a few days of shopping. There are lots and lots of reasons to move to Key West, but shopping isn't one of them. We can get everything we need (pretty much) but not much of what you want at local stores. Most people on the island shop online for many things......clothes, books, shoes, etc. Every so often you've just got to make the three hour drive and GO SHOPPING. As a former shopaholic (not clinically, but I certainly spent a lot of time in the stores in Maryland), I admit I miss it. But given the choice of living someplace else and having a Target and a Nordstrom close by, I'd much rather live here with the water, palm trees, beaches and island way of life. After several tries, I finally found a good mall. Aventura Mall in Miami has all my real world favorites and then some. John gave the girls a pep talk while I was in the shower at the hotel. Something along the lines of 'mom does everything for us and she is upset about Murphy and this is HER day.' So while I browsed and bought, John and the girls rode escalators and elevators (can't do that in KW!) and walked around the large mall. We met up for lunch at The Cheesecake Factory, which they thought was just grand. It's been a long time since a server handed me that bound, thick menu! Mari thanked the guy at the Lego store for making all the cool Legos......she was just beside herself with joy in there. When we entered the Disney Store Josie said 'Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh' and took off! I told the startled greeter that we never take them out of the house. We separated again for my final rounds. As I emerged from Henri Bendel with the most fabulous sunglasses in my brown and white striped bag, I found the three of them sitting on a bench surrounded by all my purchases, patiently waiting for me. So sweet, so kind. I said LET'S GET OUT OF HERE AND DO SOMETHING FUN! Both girls have been asking for a trip to Chuck E Cheese, and I had seen one on our way to the mall. But as we were coming up on it I looked in the back seat at two sleepy ladies and decided they had probably had enough retail fun for one day. The next morning, after checking out of the hotel, they dropped me off at Target and I spent almost TWO HOURS, ALONE going up and down every aisle. John and the girls did a last trip to Barnes & Noble, Mari's favorite. With just enough room left in the back of my Jeep for John to see out the back window, we got back on the FL Turnpike and headed back to Key West. Josie did a little cheer when we crossed to bridge back to our little island.

No comments:

Post a Comment