Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Crab cakes!

Just saying those two words makes me happy. I lived in Maryland for twenty years before we moved to Key West three years ago, so I know from crab cakes. When I was a food writer I actually took part in a day-long crab cake tasting, visiting restaurants in a limo with a bunch of other judges. It was fun, but I'll say it was quite a while before I had one after that. Our friends, the Staggs, lived in Kent Narrows, on Maryland's Eastern Shore, for many years and we visited them often. Jeannette Stagg was famous for saying 'It takes as long to make a crab cake as it does to make a hamburger... why would anyone make a hamburger?' She's right, although there is nothing wrong with a great burger in my opinion. But crab cakes ARE quick and easy to make, nothing to be scared of. This is how I make my Maryland-style crab cakes. (I also make a Key West version....a future post.) I picked up one pound of crab meat from Publix yesterday, 8 ounces of lump and 8 ounces of jumbo lump. Dump it into a colander in the sink to drain. Toss it around to check for any shell. Remove that. Very finely crush 1/2 a sleeve of crackers - Ritz, Townhouse, saltines, or Club. I dump them in a plastic storage bag and smash 'em up. Pour these on top of the crabmeat while you make the binder.
I know that seems strange, but trust me, it's important. The crumbs help to absorb moisture and take on the flavor of the crab meat. In a mixing bowl large enough to combine everything, place one egg, generous dashes of Worcestershire and hot sauce, a tablespoon or so of Dijon mustard, and 1/2 cup or so of mayonnaise.
Whisk to combine then dump the crab/cracker mixture in. Gently stir to combine, then stick the whole bowl in the refrigerator for at least a half hour.
Preheat the oven to 425 and spray some oil on a baking pan. Form the crab cakes to desired size, and bake until golden.
About 15 minutes or so. They puff up slightly and have a nice crust on the bottom.
Yesterday I whipped up a quick sauce to go alongside....a little mayo, Dijon, touch of ketchup, and sweet relish. And that was dinner. I make them smaller for parties and keep the baking sheets in the refrigerator until popping them in the oven to bake and serve hot.....people eat them up!

2 comments:

  1. We're about ready for crab season here, although Matthew said they will be limiting the catch. I've always used Faidley's recipe but at some point changes the crackers to panko. My mouth is watering for crab cakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny....this IS Faidley's recipe! I found it in a John Shield's cook book. I may have changed it slightly over the years, but this started as their recipe.

    ReplyDelete