Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Running a few errands...

I had a small list of things I needed from Ben Franklin, so I headed there this morning. Key West's franchise is small, a tad grungy, poorly lit, and has about a quarter of the items offered at a Ben Franklin on the mainland. That also describes the Kmart and Dollar Store here. I often can't find what I was planning on at these establishments, but I can usually find something that will work, or I head home and shop online at 'dot.com.' (That is what the girls call it.) I asked the clerk if they have dice to replace some we had lost from a game. She said no, but if they did, they would be in the last two aisles on the left. This is what was on those aisles: Now I happen to know that the Tutu 10K Race is coming up, so I'm sure these are the supplies for people running that. Those tiny skirts and tutus, boas, wigs and eyelashes will be worn by grown men and women, and for everyone's sake I hope they are wearing running shorts underneath, but if not, oh well....back to the dice. I have no idea why the dice would be in this aisle, so after a bit of looking around I find them where I assumed they would be. Score! I head to the back of the store for the rest of my list, noting the fat, gray cat that is always sleeping in the middle of one of the aisles. I have to wonder how many times this poor animal has been stepped on! I have time to hit the grocery store before I pick the girls up at noon so I head to the new Publix. The NEW Publix is right up the street from the OLD Publix. When Albertson's closed last year, Publix opened a second branch, but kept the other one open. Yes, two locations of the same store on an island that is 4 miles by 2 miles. You will pretty much see everyone you know at either store, depending on the time of day you visit. Our grocery stores are much smaller than the super-mega groceries of larger towns. But they have everything you need, and a good selection of natural and gourmet items, plus a cool selection of Cuban-Caribbean items. You can always find sour oranges, various cooking roots, plantains and cooking bananas, and tamarind pods. Publix's bakery has a yummy assortment of hot empanadas and croquettas, and lots of the breakfast pastries are made with guava paste......so good. The meat section has pretty much EVERY part of the pig, and you can buy chicken feet for extra flavor in your soup. The girls ask to see the chicken feet every so often, just for squealing purposes. After my shopping I head over to school with time to spare. I sit in my car with all the windows open, enjoying the breeze, and check my email/facebook/texts until I hear those familiar shouts of 'MOM, LOOK WHAT I DID TODAY!' and the girls jump in the Jeep in a flurry of papers and backpacks and questions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment