Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Chicken A La King....one of John's faves

My husband likes to tell anyone who will listen that I ask him what he wants for dinner, but then tell him 'No, not that.' I say that because no matter the season or the heat index, John likes old-school comfort food. I call it 'cafeteria food' but he is quick to point out that he has never had his favorites in a cafeteria....seems like he should have over the years! Shepherd's Pie, Meatloaf, and Chicken A La King. These are the types of meals that come to his mind when I ask what he would like for dinner. So when it isn't too hot and I want to make his day, I make one of his favorites. Today I whipped up some Chicken A La King and he is a happy camper. This couldn't be easier to prepare, and I have to say it makes for a nice dinner. Many years ago I tried to make a 'gourmet' version and it just didn't work. If you are going to go there, just embrace it and crack open the Campbell's soup. This is how I make it. I pulled the meat from a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and put it in a Dutch oven pan with half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. In goes two cans of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup. Fill one of those cans with chicken stock and add it to the pot. Stir to combine over medium heat, adding some freshly ground black pepper and a touch of salt to taste. Simmer until hot and bubbly. Put two pieces of Pepperidge Farm White Sandwich Bread (this is important!) in the toaster. Toast, a ladle or two of the chicken mixture, and you've got Chicken A La King. So let me warn the ladies he runs with on Friday mornings that they will have to hear all about how much John enjoyed this dish for dinner tonight. Sorry! But at least now you know how to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment