Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Recipe Cards as Memories

Stuck at home with two sick little girls....time to start organizing stuff. I went through a small file box I brought from Maryland and spent some time remembering people and food-related events from my foodie past. When I owned Someone's in the Kitchen, I did cooking classes and had a loyal following of Maryland cooks. We covered entertaining menus, making stocks, easy weeknight dinners, grilling, wine, holiday baking and much more. I would have guest chefs in to teach every month or so, which was always fun. I got to assist or actually sit in class as a student....drinking wine and laughing with people who grew to be longtime friends. Every so often we would have a potluck class. I would demonstrate just one or two recipes and ask everyone else to bring a signature dish along with the recipe to be copied and shared. I went through some of those cards this morning and it was like a little visit with people I haven't seen in years! And I need to make some of these things now that I found the recipes. Toby's Chocolate Nut Zucchini Cake, Gretchen's Greek Vinaigrette from a Greek church in Pittsburgh, and the best fruit salad drizzle I have ever tasted, Lara's Amaretto Fruit Dip. We don't have many family mementos here in Key West. All of that stuff is in storage in Maryland. So it was nice to find two cards hand written by my grandmothers, both of whom passed in the last two years.  I also found the recipe cards from a charity lunch event I attended in Baltimore where I actually MET Martha Stewart back in the day when she was all the rage. And the handwritten quantities for La Paz margaritas (I remember finally asking for that sitting at the bar upstairs at the old site) and the Maryland Fried Chicken that John used to love from...sadly I can't remember the name of the place, but I'll keep it since you never know when I may need to make fried chicken for 50.
Recipes from Martha's event.
Recipes from cooking classes.

1 comment:

  1. True to every word mentioned. These recipe cards help in storing beautiful recipes and sharing them.

    ReplyDelete