Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Daily Distractions

Lately I've been able to START a lot of things....I haven't had too much luck FINISHING them. I was all gung-ho for my decorating projects, and I WAS able to finish getting some photos updated and up on my new shelf from Pier 1, but my rescued plants are still on the front porch, along with my fab new mirror that needs more work than I thought. 


I get sidetracked by important things, like realizing I need to finish the little decoupage cigar box before yet another friend leaves Key West this week, and silly things, like feeling compelled to scan through some new magazines and catalogs while straightening up and then realizing that it's already time to pick up the girls. Wow....did I really just lose an hour? Yep! But as I've gotten older, I realize that those distractions are really the things that make my life interesting. Regardless of what I 'should' be doing today, and that list includes house work, income tax prep, and the decorative projects I outlined earlier, I am having lunch with a couple on their last day in town before heading to New England for the next Coast Guard assignment. I am so happy that I finished her present....she was surprised by it, and I have to say it brought tears to my eyes and made me realize how much I will miss her. 

I would so rather be the person who doesn't run the vacuum in favor of doing something for someone else, and that isn't just because I don't like to run the vacuum. I thank Key West and the people I have met here for giving me that lesson. Before we lived here, I think I was often most focused on my to-do list and only what was going on in my little world. The city I call home has gotten smaller in size, but I feel like my world has gotten a lot bigger. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment