Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Road Trip!

I woke up Sunday morning with the desire to do something different, to get everyone out of their routine for a day. I also had a list of things we need that I haven't been able to find here in Key West. It hit me - road trip to Target! John greeted my suggestion with suspicion.... you want to drive six hours round trip to buy pool toys and bathing suits? Yes, dear, I do. So we did. The drive through the Florida Keys from bottom (Key West) to top (Key Largo) is lovely. 

View from Seven Mile Bridge near Marathon.

Near Islamorada.

Water on all sides with patches of land making up small towns. And since yesterday was a hot, sunny Sunday, we saw tons of people swimming, boating, fishing and sunning. It is easy to just pull over and make yourself at home at water's edge here. Love that! We reached our destination, the southernmost Target in Florida at Cutler Ridge. 

The girls squealed and acted like we were heading into the Magic Kingdom. I found what I needed, plus a bunch of stuff I didn't know I needed....ah, Target, how I love thee. The cashier tried to sell me on the new Target Debit card. As I explained that I don't get to shop at a Target regularly and that we drove three hours to get to this one, I noticed everyone looking at us. Oh, but you must have a Wal-Mart, she said. Nope, just a really bad Kmart, I explained. I could tell she thought we were a little crazy for living so far away from civilization. We filled the back of my Jeep with fresh pool toys, Dolphin Trainer Barbie, running shirts for John, another Scooby Doo DVD and quite a bit more. A quick stop at the Race-Trac gas station/snack emporium before the Keys start and we headed south to the end of the road. 

Yacht Club in Key Largo.
When we got to Roosevelt Boulevard Josie said 'We're home, we're home, we're back home in Key West!' It really cracks me up that I live with three people who have such a hard time leaving the Rock....how did this happen?

1 comment:

  1. See? John got running shirts out of the trip! I didn't realize the closest Target is 3 hours away from you. Even though we feel isolated here, at least our favorite shops are only 2 hours away... Ha ha. (Just discovered a Nordstrom right near the Costco in Wilmington!)

    By the way, our next Key West visit will be via a meandering trip down the Seven Mile bridge. It may take all day!

    ReplyDelete