Sign up HERE to subscribe via email. Thank you!

Monday, May 6, 2013

KW Yard Sale Tattletales

I'm not sure who started it, but there is a group on Facebook here for people to sell things they want to get rid of....clothes, household items, kid's toys, etc. I'm sure it was started by a thrifty military mom who was getting ready to move on to their next assignment....why pack stuff you don't want or need? I got invited to join the group a year or two ago, and I always read the posts, but I haven't bought too much. Until last week. I had two great scores - some nice tropical house plants and a gorgeous mirror edged in gilded bamboo. Unfortunately, John was alerted to these purchases by other moms at school. "I can't believe your wife bought those plants!!" and "I wanted that mirror and your wife beat me to it!" What is funny about that is that John often ends up transporting my purchases, and he really gets annoyed at my purchases to house my new purchases in our small Key West house. Last year when a friend was moving to San Diego, I scooped up all her outdoor plants, including the pots. For free! Of course, I had something else going on at school the day we needed to pick them up, so John had to take his truck over to load the massive haul. I was planning on just adding my new things to the living room without a mention....Tonya and Yoli blew my cover! We all had a laugh about it, and I am going to come up with a pseudonym for future purchases. John's thought is we already have too much stuff, so why do I need to buy other people's stuff. And he's right....to a point! Today we moved some furniture and bought a new shelf at Pier 1 - I am in redecorating mode. We have lived here three years now and things could use a face-lift. Houses in Key West are small. We have 1700 square feet, which actually is pretty large for the island. But with two kids and all the toys and stuff that go with them, I spend a lot of time moving and repackaging stuff. I am thrilled with the changes we made to the living room today. I wish I had remembered to take a 'before' and 'after' shot! But I will definitely take some photos of the things I am picking up tomorrow and show you all the final results. I just hope I can fit it all in my Jeep and don't have to get the hubs involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment